I’m being forced to reveal some dark and dreadful secrets….they start with a piece of my next book ‘When Water Burns’ because I’ve been tagged for the Lucky 7 MEME by Lan at ‘The Write Obsession’
The rules are:
1. Go to page 77 of your current MS.
2. Go to line 7.
3. Copy down the next 7 lines ( sentences or paragraphs) and post them as they’re written.
4. Tag 7 writers and let them know.
Thanks Lan! ( I think.)
So here’s a piece from page 77 of ‘When Water Burns’.
One of the most disconcerting things about being the ungifted daughter of a telesa, is having your mother grow old – and remain ageless. While an increasingly worn face and grey hair greets you in the mirror. As a taulasea, natural healer, Salamasina well knew all of the concoctions which the telesa drank to help retain their youthful looks and yes, there were years long ago when she too had brewed them for herself. For vanity’s sake. But there is an ingredient for true telesa youth which could not be replicated. Power. Fanua ola. The life force of our mother earth. Every time a telesa called on her mother earth to unleash her gifts, that same power coursed through her veins with a rejuvenating effect. Renewing tired cells. The more a telesa used her gifts, the stronger she became. The older a telesa, the more potent her gifts. And the more hauntingly youthful was her beauty.
Which is why, when Salamasina answered the sharp knock on her door that morning, and saw the woman who stood there, it was like seeing a ghost from her past. A face unmarked by time.
The face of her mother.
Seven MEME Questions have to be Answered as well…
1. What is your dream vacation? An air conditioned 5 star hotel with superb room service that’s right next to a gigantic shopping mall and my Kindle loaded with all the latest books from my favorite authors. And not a single child anywhere. ( Sorry Fabulous 5. For some strange reason, you are never included in my perfect vacation dreams…I wonder why?)
2. Are you spontaneous? Or do you like to plan? I do like to write a lot of lists. They make me feel organized. But truthfully, I get all my bestest ideas for projects/events etc the night before. Or that day. Then I run around like a headless chicken on crack to make it all happen.
3. One thing you want to do, but don’t dare do? Get a tattoo. Like a malu. And maybe something on the back of my neck. And on the inside of my forearm. Behind my left ear. On my lower back. I can dream, right?
4. What’s your biggest phobia? Snakes. And attack dogs that bite unfit
fat chicks who don’t run fast enough to escape them.
5. If you were stranded on a desert island, what 3 things would you want with you? (not incl yr laptop or family.) My Kindle, Diet Coke and Hermione’s magic bag of camping survival tricks.
6. Name three blessings in your life. My family. The sacred opportunity to be a mother. (Nothing tests me or teaches me more.) And my skinny legs. (they are great diversionary tools)
7. What was your nickname in high school? Mata lulu. Translation – Owl Eyes. (And trust me, there was nothing kindly, endearing, or cute about it…)
8. If you could meet the President of the US what would you say to him? You’re amazing but I would really love to meet your wife. Is Mrs Obama around?
9.If you could be any literary character for a day, who would you be? Lady Macbeth. Just because she connects with my inner psycho fierce bad-a** self.
10. A favorite quote? “No person is your friend who demands your silence or denies your right to grow.”
Thank you Lan and Gossip Girl for the fun MEME. And now the funnest bit…tagging some more writers! If you dont have 77 pages yet then pick page 7…or 17…or 27…
*Sophia the Writer
*Seti Matua at LeFolauga ( Come on Seti…I dare you! Just a few lines from pg 77…you can do it!)
*Maryanne Pale ( I know you’re not writing a book but would LOVE to have you share some of your poetry for this MEME feature…seven lines even?!)
*Alica McKenna Johnson
*Julianne Dodd (Hopefully the fun hot bits are on pg 77…)
Have fun people!